To buy or not to buy EOS on an exchange

EOS.IO instructions clearly say that EOS should not be purchased from an exchange but rather via ones own Ethereum wallet directly to the EOS contract address.

But I am seeing others buying EOS on an exchange.

What are the pros and cons to buying on an exchange? Is there any risk one might not be able to claim and register EOS tokens purchased on an exchange?

I bought my EOS on Kraken and sent it to my Ledger Nano S with the help of My Ether Wallet. Still haven’t registered the key pair with that ETH adress, but going to do that soon, as I think I have the basic idea how to now…If I needed I will contact Hadrian or Sandwich on Telegram, as I am following the conversation closely there.

I think it doesn’t matter where you get your EOS, as long as you register the eth adress, where you store it, to the eos key pair before 1.6.2018. It is going to be listed on many exchanges for people to buy.

That’s quite some work. Not very userfriendly. I did it that way in the beginning. These days I just buy them of Bitfinex and sent them to my Ethereum wallet.

I’ve done both. I think for the large purchasers, the ICO is the way to go since there isn’t enough volume/depth on the exchanges. I looked at bitfiinex recently and there were only around 2Mil EOS in the entire order book so a large order coould clear the entire order book!

Sorry to ask noob questions but I am a bit stuck here. I would really appreciate some help since you all seem to have solved this problem alreday. In brief, I am trying to get my EOS off Bitfinex onto my Trezor/MyEtherWallet.

The issue is that when I try to use MEW, it sends me to ethplorer.io to select EOS. On ethplorer, there are 6 different EOS tokens listed that all look more or less the same other than the addresses. Which do I use for the address?

In other words, what are the steps I need to get the correct address for EOS?

MANY thanks in advance

I have no experience with Trezor but on MyEtherWallet you just have your Ethereum address isn’t it? And if you own the private key and are the real owner of that address (with backups etc.) you can move your EOS from Bitfinex to your Ether address.

You can look your ETH address up here:

https://etherscan.io/

It will also show your tokens. So as far as I understand your question: the answer is you can move your EOS tokens from Bitfinex to your Ethereum address.

Recommended gas limit: at least 90000 is this true?
And what does that mean?

Also can I use this to generate and EOS wallet? https://nadejde.github.io/eos-token-sale/

And the reason why ETH burns my keister is because of that who gas block empty block and swipe move. what does that 900000 amount really mean? And can someone stop my blocks to take my gas?

I don’t know about the gaslimit, but I would use a Ethereum address for sure. Look at the steps on the official website:

https://eos.io/

To transfer your EOS tokens to trezor, follow the same steps that you would to transfer ethereum to your trezor. EOS can be transferred to any Ethereum address. The token sale is an ERC-20 token so it can be transferred to any ethereum address.

Most importantly, before the token sale ends (still several months away), there are steps you will need to take to link your EOS ERC-20 tokens so you get credited for actual EOS once their official blockchain launches. Make sure you keep a small amount of eth in your wallet for gas to complete these steps.

Actually I don’t have a Trezor wallet, but I do have an My Etherwallet paper wallet.
I decided to kill my node and move my ETH to cold storage.

The question is about this link…

[quote=“Chickee, post:7, topic:98”]
ttps://nadejde.github.io/eos-token-sale/
[/quote] is this a valid wallet generator?

I’m wondering about the credibility of https://nadejde.github.io/eos-token-sale/
if it’s safe or not.

I will not ERC Tokens…
When sending the amount I read somewhere that you have to set the gas to 90000
So I was just bring that here, hopefully I can find the source of that information in my notes.

@frabrunelle Do you know what I’m talking about am I making sense?

I have no idea. But the EOS.IO team advices My Etherwallet do I would use that if I were you.

[quote=“Chickee, post:10, topic:98”]
https://nadejde.github.io/eos-token-sale/
Checking validity of this Git Hub link for EOS Token sale [/quote]

Okay That’s great to know I store my ETH cold stored in MyETHER wallet is the ideal wallet…
Thank-you

I bought on Liqui with no issues at all.

I bought mine on Kraken I find it easy to use and send to wallets etc. No issues there. I have had awful experiences elsewhere so Kraken is the one for me. Just goto get my head around registering them now from my MEW which I think I have sussed but will test with a small amount to be sure first. Plus there is no rush got up to June next year.

hi

it doesnt really matter where you buy them if you want to hodl … obviously cheaper the better …all exchanges have varying buy prices … as long as you transfer them to the recognised wallets and reg them before the specified date…

Tacit